College of EngineeringDepartment of Civil and Environmental EngineeringAcademicsOnline Programs
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers graduate-level instruction and research programs leading to the degree of Master of Civil Engineering. The objective of this program is to provide qualified students an opportunity for advanced training and specialization and to enable them to gain experience in conducting engineering research and in the interpretation and communication of their findings.
The department offers on-campus programs in construction engineering and management, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, hydraulics/hydrology, pavements and materials, structural engineering, and transportation engineering. Course work may be taken outside the department in supportive disciplines such as applied statistics, building science, computer science or mathematics, provided there is justification for doing so. Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering, and Pavement and Materials Engineering are also available through distance education (online program).
All applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree in civil engineering (e.g., B.C.E., B.S. or B.S.C.E.) or a closely related area and must have completed such formal training as to warrant advanced study in the major and minor fields. There is no formal foreign language requirement.
Requirements for the Master of Civil Engineering are a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate-level courses, which may include three semester hours of CIVL 7980 (Civil Engineering Project).
The M.C.E. degree is available with:
- A minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate course work, which may include three semester hours of Civil Engineering Project (CIVL 7980).
- Courses in related fields outside of the department can be taken as part of the mandatory 30 hours.
- Students may transfer up to six credit hours of graduate courses from another institution or from another graduate degree upon the approval by the student's advisory committee.
- The specific plan of study must be approved by the student's advisory committee.
- No language requirement.
- No residency requirement.
- There are special admission requirements or prerequisites (Environmental Engineering and Structural Engineering) for persons holding college degrees in fields other than civil engineering.
- Civil Engineering online graduate program summary information
- Civil engineering graduate courses
- The tuition cost of the online MCE program
- Request further information about the online program: contact Krysta Weed at email@example.com and Karen Hunley at firstname.lastname@example.org.