You're a new assistant professor? Not quite on top of it yet?
Here are some books etc. that may help:
Got a grand plan, research-wise? Thought through all the
- How to have a Bad Career in Research/Academia, David
Patterson, 1994. (35 slides,
author is a computer scientist)
- Advice to a Young Scientist. P. B. Medwar. Basic Books,
1979. 0-465-00092-4. (106 pages. medicine.)
- A Ph.D. is Not Enough: A guide to survival in science.
Peter J. Feibelman. Addison-Wesley, 1993. 0-201-62663-2. (109 pages.
solid state physicist.)
- The Incomplete Guide to the Art of Discovery. Jack E.
Oliver. Columbia University Press, 1991. 0-231-07620-7. (208 pages.
- The Compleat Academic: A practical guide for the beginning
social scientist. M. P. Zanna and J. M. Darley (Eds.). Random
- The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 2nd Ed. Thomas
S. Kuhn. University of Chicago Press, 1970. 0-226-45804-0. (210 pages.
How's teaching? Just getting by?
- Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research and Theory for College
and University Teachers, 9th Edition. Wilbert J. McKeachie. D. C.
Heath and Company, 1994
0-669-19434-4. (444 pages)
- Mastering the Techniques of Teaching. Joseph Lowman. San
Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1990.
1-55542-221-7 (244 pages)
- Improving your Classroom Teaching. Maryellen Weimer.
Newbury Park and London:
Sage Publications, 1993.
0-8039-4976-6. (128 pages)
- What's the Use of Lectures?. Donald A. Bligh.
San Francisco: Jossey-Bass,
2000 0-7879-5162-5 (346 pages).
- Teaching Tips from UC Berkeley online.
- reading lists from the Teaching Resources library at Waterloo
- Short Bibliography on College Teaching from Stanford
- Craig Nelson's Linked
Bibliography on College Teaching
Not getting good work out of your students? Rather just do it
- How to Win Friends and Influence People. Dale Carnegie.
Simon and Schuster, 1936/1981. 0-671-72365. (262 pages)
- How to be a Terrible Research Advisor. Nigel Ward.
online, 1992. (3 pages) [computer programmer] funny
- Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On Being a Mentor to
Students in Science and Engineering.
National Academy Press, 1997, 0-309-06363-9.
- any book with the word "management" or "leadership" in the
Wishing the university was just run sensibly?
- The University: An owner's manual. Henry Rosovsky.
Norton, 1990. 0-393-30783-2. (309 pages) [Dean's perspective]
Are research grants the purpose of life?
- The Economic Laws of Scientific Research. Terence Kealey.
MacMillan, 1996. 0-333-65755-1. (353 pages).
Are your colleagues weird or is it you?
- Lucky Jim. Kingsley Amis. Penguin, 1954. (251 pages)
[English lit. lecturer's perspective] funny!
- Moo. Jane Smiley. Flamingo, 1995. (414 pages) [English
lit., wide perspective] funny!
- Changing Places. David Lodge. Penguin, 1975. (251 pages)
[English lit. full prof's perspective] funny!
- Straight Man. Richard Russo. Vintage, 1997. (391 pages)
[English lit. chairman's perspective] funny!
- The Emperor of Ocean Park. Stephen L. Carter. Knopf
2002. (672 pages) [law professor's perspective]
Or you could just go somewhere else:
10 things to ask for when negotiating an academic job offer.
Nigel Ward, 2002. funny.
last update: May 2003.