David M. Bevly
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Auburn University, AL 36849-5341
Email: dmbevly "at" eng.auburn.edu
Office: 2418F Wiggins Hall
Lab Info: PDF
Curriculum Vitae: PDF
GPS and Vehicle Dynamics Laboratory (GAVLAB)
[ Teaching | Research Interests |
Education | Experience |
Publications | Other ]
(System Dynamics and Controls)
(Optimal Estimation and Control)
(Special Topics: Fundamentals of GPS Navigation)
Control of Dynamic Systems
Optimal Estimation and Control
GPS and Sensor Fusion
Vehicle Dynamics and Control
Vehicle State Estimation
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1995
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University, Assistant Professor, 2001-present
Stanford Global Positioning System Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 1998-2001
Thesis directed by Professor Bradford Parkinson, entitled:
Dynamic Design Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 1999-2001
"High Speed, Dead Reckoning, and Towed Implement Control for Automatically Steered Farm Tractors Using GPS"
Veterans Affairs Hospital, Research Consultant, 1998-2001
Stanford Robotics Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 1997-1998
M.I.T. Field and Space Robotics Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 1995-1997
Thesis directed by Professor Steven Dubowsky, entitled:
Texas A&M University, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 1994-1995
"Action Module Planning and Cartesian Based Control of an Experimental Climbing Robot"
Sanden International, U.S.A, Co-op Student, 1993-1995
DuPont de Nenmour Inc, Victoria Plant, Co-op Student 1992
Selected Publications (Click here for a complete list of GavLab Publications)
1) Anderson, R., and Bevly, D. M., "Using GPS with a Model Based Estimator to Estimate Critical Vehicle States," submitted to Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics.
2) Plumlee, J., Hodel, S., and Bevly, D. M., "Control Allocation in Ground Vehicles," accepted for publication in the International Journal of Vehicle Design.
3) Bevly, D. M., Gebre-Egziabher, D., and Parkinson, B. W., "Error Analysis of a Dead Reckoning Navigator for Ground Vehicle Guidance and Control," submitted to Journal of Navigation.
4) Bevly, D. M., Ryu, J., Gerdes, J. C, "Integrating INS Sensors with GPS Velocity Measurements for Continuous Estimation of Vehicle Side-Slip and Tire Cornering Stiffness," submitted to IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
5) Bevly, D. M., "GPS: A Low Cost Velocity Sensor for Correcting Inertial Sensor Errors on Ground Vehicles," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 126, No. 2, June 2004, pp. 255-264.
6) Daily, R., Bevly, D. M., "The Use of GPS for Vehicle Stability Control Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 2, April 2004.
7) Bevly, D.M., Gerdes, J.C., Parkinson, B., "A New Yaw Dynamic Model for Improved High Speed Control of a Farm Tractor," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 124, No. 4, December 2002, pp. 659-667.
8) Bevly, D.M., Gerdes, J.C., Wilson, C., "The Use of GPS Based Velocity Measurements for Measuring Side Slip and Wheel Slip," Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 38, No. 2, August 2002, pp. 127-147.
9) Bevly, D.M., Rekow, A., Parkinson, B., "Comparison of an INS vs. Carrier Phase DGPS Attitude in control of Off-Road Vehicles," Journal of Navigation, Vol. 42, No. 4, Winter 2000, pp. 257-266.
10) Bevly, D. M., Dubowsky, D., Mavroidis, C, "A Simplified Cartesian Computed Torque Controller and its Application to an Experimental Climbing Robot," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 122, No. 1, March 2000, pp. 27-32.
11) Rekow, Bell, Bevly, Parkinson, "System Identification and Adaptive Steering of Tractors Utilizing Differential Global Positioning System", AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 22, No. 5, September 1999, pp.671-674.
Van der Loos, Kautz, Schwandt, Anderson, Chen, and Bevly, "A Split-Crank, Servomotor-Controlled Bicycle Ergometer Design for Studies in Human Biomechanics," Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE/RSJ Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, October 2002, pp. 1409-1414.
Bevly, D.M., Gerdes, J.C., Parkinson, B., "Yaw Dynamic modeling for Improved High Speed Control of a Farm Tractor," Proceedings of the 2000 ASME IMECE, Orlando, FL.
Bevly, D. M., Rekow, A., Parkinson, B., "Evaluation of a Blended Dead-Reckoning and Carrier Phase Differential GPS System for control of an Off-Road Vehicle," Proceedings of the 1999 ION-GPS Meeting, Nashville, TN, September 1999 (in revision for journal submission).
Bevly, D. M., Sheridan, R., Gerdes, J. C, "Integrating INS Sensors with GPS Velocity Measurements for Continuous Estimation of Vehicle Side-Slip and Tire Cornering Stiffness," Proceedings of the 2001 American Control Conference, June 2001.
Bevly, D.M., Parkinson, B.W., "Carrier-Phase Differential GPS for Control of a Tractor Towed Implement," Proceedings of the 2000 ION-GPS Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, September 2000 (Best Paper of Session award).
Bevly, D. M., et. al., "The Use of GPS Based Velocity Measurements for Improved Vehicle State Estimation," Proceedings of the 2000 American Control Conference, June 2000, Chicago, IL.
Bevly, D. M., Farritor, S., Dubowsky, S., "Action Module Planning and its Application to an Experimental Climbing Robot," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Sept. 2000, San Francisco, CA.
Bevly, D.M., Rekow, A., Parkinson, B., "Incorporating INS with Carrier-Phase Differential GPS for Automatic Steering Control of a Farm Tractor," Presented at the 1999 SAE Intl. Off-Highway and Powerplant Congress & Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, September 1999, Reprinted in Agricultural Machinery, Tires, Tracks, and Traction (SP-1472), Paper No. 1999-01-2851 (received the 2000 SAE Myers Award for Outstanding Student Paper).
Bevly, D. M., Rekow, A., Parkinson, B., "Comparison of an INS vs. Carrier Phase DGPS Attitude in the Control of Off-Road Vehicles," Proceedings of the 1999 ION Annual Meeting, Cambridge, MA, June 1999.
Auburn University's Peaks of Excellence in Transportation.
Auburn University article
on my transportation related research.
National Center for Asphalt Testing (NCAT).
NCAT's Test Track.
Auburn University Christian Faculty Forum (Philippians 4:13).
My sponsored children Gidania and
Ada Chalen at
My Church: First Baptist Church Opelika.