Graduate FAQ

Mechanical Engineering Graduate FAQ

What graduate degrees are offered by your department?

Mechanical Engineering Department offers (a) Master of Science (Non-Thesis), (b) Master of Science (Thesis) and (c) Doctor of Philosophy degrees.

Where can I find information on faculty research interests and facilities?

Current faculty research interests can be found at the following website:

What is the minimum GPA for admission into the Graduate Program in Mechanical Engineering?

3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Most students who get admitted to our program have a GPA greater than 3.5.

Do I need to take GRE?  What is the target GRE scores for admission?

Yes.  A combined verbal and quantitative score >300 and a minimum GRE quantitative score of 157 is required. (Most successful international students have a verbal score of >146). 

Do I need to take TOEFL? What is the minimum score on TOEFL?

Yes, if you are an international applicant.  The minimum score on the TOEFL is 550 (paper test) or 213 (computer based test) or 79 on iBT (internet based test). A score of 6.5 and above in IELTS is acceptable as well.

Is the Test of Spoken English (TSE) required and can it be taken after arriving in Auburn?

Graduate teaching assistants (GTA) must take TSE with the exception that in certain situations an oral exam can be taken upon arrival in Auburn in lieu of TSE.

What is Auburn University's code number to send ETS test scores?

1005 (Mechanical Engineering code: 1502)

Should I send my application material directly to the department?

No.  Submit your application electronically at the graduate school website (Mailing Address: The Graduate School, 106 Hargis Hall, Auburn University, AL 36849-9122). Submission should include official transcripts (can be sent electronically to, standardized test scores, statement of purpose, recommendation letters. A brief resume, financial statement, and any other material deemed important can be uploaded as departmental files. Do not include your photographs or high school certificates. If you have documents that you need to send us via regular mail, use the following address:


Dr. Hareesh Tippur
Graduate Program Officer
Mechanical Engineering Department1418 Wiggins Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849, USA

Can the application fee be waived? Who do I make the check payable to?

No, the application fee cannot be waived. The University, not the department, mandates this fee. The checks should be made payable to Auburn University.

What is the application deadline?

Auburn University has a rolling admissions policy and we accept applications for fall, spring and summer semesters.  However, we do have target dates and most new students enter our program during the fall semester.  For fall semester entry, application materials should be submitted by January 15.  This date is for GRA, GTA and fellowship consideration.  For spring semester entry, submitting application materials by September 1 is recommended. (If you miss the target date, you can still submit your application but full consideration towards financial support is not guaranteed.)

The domestic graduate distance learning program applicants (or, graduate video-outreach program applicants) can submit their applications by June 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.

Is financial aid available?

Yes.  Qualifying graduate students, mostly PhD and a few MS students, are provided financial support in the form of graduate teaching and/or research assistantships (GTA and/or GRA).  Those who receive these assistantships are exempt from paying tuition. (Note: Direct admission to PhD program after BS is limited to candidates with superior academic qualifications, test scores and demonstrable research experience.)

Whom should I contact regarding graduate assistantship?

Most GTA/GRA offers are made by individual faculty members based on the availability of funds from their research projects/grants.  Hence, it is best to match your research interests with that of a faculty member and contact them directly regarding the availability of financial support.

Are fellowships available to graduate students?

A limited number of merit based fellowships are available (application deadline: January 15) as salary supplements to GRA/GTA assistantships.  These are awarded to highly qualified graduate students entering in the fall semester. 

Does my financial aid cover health insurance and other expenses?

No. Graduate students are responsible for paying health insurance premiums and other expenses including those for their spouse and dependents.  Further, it is mandatory for all international students to purchase health insurance upon enrollment.  

I have a non-mechanical engineering BS degree.  Am I eligible to enter your graduate program?

Admission may be offered to non-mechanical engineering BS degree holders on a case-by-case basis.  Applications from civil engineering, aerospace engineering and engineering science/mechanics BS degree holders will be reviewed normally.  If you are a physics, engineering physics, or electrical engineering degree holder, a conditional admission may be offered.  Such an admission typically requires successful completion of 6-8 core undergraduate mechanical engineering courses in addition to the regular graduate degree requirements.

Note that Mechanical Engineering Department does not offer online undergraduate courses and hence completion of the suggested undergraduate core courses prior to admission is strongly suggested.

Where can I find information on current tuition and other fees?

It can be found at


Updated October 2018

Last Updated: Oct 24, 2018